POSITION TITLE: MECHANICAL PRODUCT ENGINEER
POSITION TYPE: Full time, exempt
REPORTS TO: Manager, High Horsepower Pumps
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Mechanical Product Engineer will participate in the design and development of high horsepower industrial pumps, creating products that are high quality, reliable, and perform to specification under demanding application environments. Work will focus on developing products from concept to market launch, including design layout, prototyping, validation and field testing. Responsibilities will also include supporting released products by performing sustaining engineering activities to improve quality and reliability.
Reports to: Manager, New Product Development - High Horsepower
Interacts with: Manufacturing, Engineering, Quality, Sales, Purchasing
- Develop new pump products from concept to market launch as a cross-functional team member using a stage-gate process.
- Create technical documentation in support of product development including technical drawings, test reports, and project management deliverables.
- Analyze design details and perform engineering calculations to determine if approach is within known limits for proper functionality. Includes attention to fit, finish, sizing, and tolerance of all components.
- Perform prototype testing to validate all designs for functionality. Includes assessing reasons for failure and implementing design and process corrections based on findings.
- Execute standardized tests and create new standards for testing new products not previously developed with known specifications.
- Perform Alpha and Beta field tests to assess product performance under customer conditions. Includes travel to customer site (domestic and international) to physically assemble pumps, assist with customer installations, and visits to sites during test process to check for and resolve needed corrections. Also, perform failure analysis within each circumstance to understand necessary changes required.
- Collaborate with drafting department to deliver a complete drawing and bill of material package.
- Collaborate with purchasing and manufacturing to ensure parts are made correctly and revise manufacturing specifications and drawings as required.
- Respond to requests for input from Engineering Department regarding other products, as needed.
Education: B.S. Mechanical Engineering - fluid mechanics and machine design focus a plus
- Minimum of 3-5 years professional engineering experience developing mechanical products for high volume manufacturing.
- Expert ability to analyze design concepts using engineering equations, Finite Element Analysis (FEA), and Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA).
- Experience working on cross functional product development teams and demonstrated history of increased responsibility within role.
- Proficient in modeling complex components and assemblies in SolidWorks.
- Working knowledge of mill and lathe machining, casting, and molding processes.
- Fundamental understanding of drafting practices including proper applications of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. and to safely assemble rotating equipment using mechanic’s tools.
- Experience fabricating prototypes and test setups using common tools.
- Fluid design and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) experience a plus.
- Ability to travel up to 10% domestically, with potential to travel internationally.
Skills/Other: Working knowledge of calculus, mathematics, and mechanics of materials. Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and SolidWorks including Simulation (FEA).
|Innovative / creative||Positive attitude|
|Problem solver||Open communication skills|
Please send applications with cover letter and resume to
Wanner engineering is a dynamic, growing company based in Minneapolis that designs, produces, and distributes industrial pumps and fluid handling equipment. We maintain an entrepreneurial environment where innovation and creativity are supported and rewarded. Due to substantial growth, we are recruiting talented engineers to support new product development and expansion into new markets. Our customers are spread across numerous industries including: machine tools, lawn care, pest control, car wash, Oil & gas, petroleum, mining, municipal water treatment, and reverse osmosis. For more information, visit our web site at www.hydra-cell.com.